- Case report
- Open Access
- Open Peer Review
Subannular left ventricular pseudoaneurysm following mitral valve replacement
© Namboodiri et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2008
- Received: 17 May 2007
- Accepted: 19 May 2008
- Published: 19 May 2008
Delayed development of left ventricular pseudoaneurysm is a rare late complication of mitral valve prosthesis and requires early surgical intervention. Here we describe the occurrence of such a complication diagnosed 6-months after the valve surgery in a 60-year-old lady. The anatomic delineation of subannular left ventricular pseudoaneurysm using multiple imaging modalities including CT angiography is also being discussed.
- Left Ventricle
- Computerize Tomographic Angiography
- Pulmonary Vein
- Left Anterior Descend
- Mitral Valve Replacement
Delayed development of left ventricular pseudoaneurysm is a rare late complication of mitral valve prosthesis and requires early surgical intervention. Here we describe the occurrence of such a complication diagnosed 6-months after the valve surgery in an elderly lady. We discuss the anatomic delineation of subannular left ventricular pseudoaneurysm using multiple imaging modalities including CT angiography.
We acknowledge our sincere thanks to Mr. H R Subramaniam, the cath lab assistant in the preparation of images. No funding involved in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the manuscript; and in the decision to submit the manuscript for publication. Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this case report and accompanying images. A copy of the written consent is available for review by the Editor-in-Chief of this journal.
- Ono M, Wolf RK: Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm late after mitral valve replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002, 73: 1303-5. 10.1016/S0003-4975(01)03268-4.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hirasawa Y, Miyauchi T, Sawamura T, Takiya H: Giant left ventricular pseudoaneurysm after mitral valve replacement and myocardial infarction. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004, 78: 1823-5. 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.07.018.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sanisoglu I, Duran C, Sagbas E, Akpinar B: A left ventricular pseudoaneurysm due to mitral valve replacement. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005, 27: 713. 10.1016/j.ejcts.2005.01.025.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yeo TC, Malouf JF, Oh JK, Seward JB: Clinical profile and outcome in 52 patients with cardiac pseudoaneurysm. Ann Intern Med. 1998, 128: 299-305.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Carlson EB, Wolfe WG, Kisslo J: Subvalvular left ventricular pseudoaneurysm after mitral valve replacement: two-dimensional echocardiographic findings. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1985, 6: 1164-6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sakai K, Nakamura K, Ishizuka N, Nakagawa M, Hosoda S: Echocardiographic findings and clinical features of left ventricular pseudoaneurysm after mitral valve replacement. Am Heart J. 1992, 124: 975-82. 10.1016/0002-8703(92)90981-Z.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Baker WB, Klein MS, Reardon MJ, Zoghbi WA: Left ventricular pseudoaneurysm complicating mitral valve replacement: transesophageal echocardiographic diagnosis and impact on management. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 1993, 6: 548-52.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Esakof DD, Vannan MA, Pandian NG, Cao QL, Schwartz SL, Bojar RM: Visualization of left ventricular pseudoaneurysm with panoramic transesophageal echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 1994, 7: 174-8.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Prêtre R, Linka A, Jenni R, Turina MI: Surgical treatment of acquired left ventricular pseudoaneurysms. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000, 70: 553-7. 10.1016/S0003-4975(00)01412-0.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lanjewar C, Thakkar B, Kerkar P, Khandeparkar J: Submitral left ventricular pseudoaneurysm after mitral valve replacement: early diagnosis and successful repair. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg. 2007, 6: 505-7. 10.1510/icvts.2006.149625.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.