This article has Open Peer Review reports available.
"Malignant" mitral stenosis
© Auer et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
Received: 3 November 2011
Accepted: 8 March 2012
Published: 8 March 2012
Symptomatic mitral stenosis caused by a left atrial mass as the first sign of metastasis of a malignant tumor is extremely rare and frequently associated with poor prognosis. We report a case of a 59-year-old man with a history of grade 3 malignant fibrous histiocytoma on his left tigh treated by limb-sparing surgery 17 months earlier, who was admitted with 10-days of worsening dyspnea. Imaging revealed a left atrial mass protruding through the mitral valve that resulted in severe mitral stenosis. Biopsy confirmed metastasis of malignant fibrous histiocytoma.
KeywordsMetastasis Heart failure Dyspnea Echocardiography Computed tomography
Symptomatic mitral stenosis caused by a left atrial mass as the first sign of metastasis of a malignant tumor is extremely rare and frequently associated with poor prognosis. Atrial tumours presenting as mitral stenosis are most commonly myxomata, occasionally pedunculated sarcoma, and very rarely metastases.
Symptomatic mitral stenosis caused by a left atrial mass as the first sign of metastasis of a malignant tumor is extremely rare and frequently associated with poor prognosis [1–3]. However, there are some reports about successful favourable response with combined treatment particularly in patients with high tumor mitotic rate [4, 5].
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this report and any accompanying images.
We would like to acknowledge and thank Dr. Günter Schatzl and Dr. Carina Primus for their support and critical reviews.
- Reynen K, Köckeritz U, Strasser RH: Metastases to the heart. Ann Oncol. 2004, 15: 375-381. 10.1093/annonc/mdh086.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stems LP, Eliot RS, Varco RL, Edwards JE: Intracavitary cardiac neoplasms. A review of fifteen cases. Br Heart J. 1966, 28: 7543-7546.Google Scholar
- Hepp A, Larbig D, Bader H: Left atrial metastasis of chorion carcinoma, presenting as mitral stenosis. Br Heart J. 1977, 39: 1154-1156. 10.1136/hrt.39.10.1154.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Recchia F, Saggio G, Amiconi G, Di Blasio A, Cesta A, Candeloro G, Rea S, Nappi G: Cardiac metastases in malignant fibrous histiocytoma. A case report. Tumori. 2006, 92: 76-78.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schena S, Caniglia A, Agnino A, Caruso G, Ferlan G: Survival following treatment of a cardiac malignant fibrous histiocytoma. Chest. 2000, 118: 271-273. 10.1378/chest.118.1.271.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.