This article has Open Peer Review reports available.
Ectopic pancreas tissue appearing in a mediastinal cyst
© Szabados et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
Received: 11 October 2011
Accepted: 13 March 2012
Published: 13 March 2012
Heterotopia of pancreatic tissue is a common developmental anomaly. Although ectopic pancreatic tissue is mostly found in the gastrointestinal tract, localization in the mediastinum is extremely rare. We report a 32-year-old male patient who had an urgent thoracotomy two years ago due to a thoracic surgery. During the thoracotomy fragments of a partly necrotic cystic mass in the right thorax were removed and decortication was performed. Two years later the patient was hospitalized again because of haemoptoe and atypical chest pain. A residual cystic mass was detected between the right hilum and the ascending aorta connecting to the pericardium, the superior vena cava and the aorta on the chest CT. After the operation a mediastinal cyst was diagnosed, with a pancreatic tissue by histology.
The patient was discharged without any complications.
Ectopic pancreas tissue may appear in this region, therefore it should be include in the Differential diagnosis of the mediastinal cyst.
Mediastinal cyst formed by pancreatic tissue is extremly rare . We found only six cases in The literature . We report ours because it was recurrent - the tissue diagnosis missed at the First resection - and was attached to the pericardium. Since the total exstiraptin of the cyst two Years ago, the patient remained asymptomatic.
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this Case report and any accompanying images. A copy of the written consent is available for review by the Editor-in-Chief of this journal.
- Carr MJ, Derianiya AK, Judd PA: Mediastinal cyst containing mural pancreatic Tissue. Thorax. 1977, 32 (4): 512-516. 10.1136/thx.32.4.512.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
- Cagirici U, Ozbaran M, Veral A: Ectopic mediastinal pancreas. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001, 19 (4): 514-515. 10.1016/S1010-7940(01)00606-6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tamura Y, Takahama M, Kushibe K: Ectopic pancreas in the anterior mediastinum. Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005, 53 (9): 498-501. 10.1007/s11748-005-0095-6.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Al-Salam S, Al Ashari M: Ectopic pancreatic tissue in the anterior mediastinum. Virchows Arch. 2006, 448 (5): 661-663. 10.1007/s00428-006-0159-8.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang W, Li K, Qin W: Ectopic pancreas in mediastinum: report of 2 cases and review of the literature. J Thorac Imaging. 2007, 22 (3): 256-258. 10.1097/01.rti.0000213587.44719.a7.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chen ZH, Yu RS, Dong F: CT findings of an ectopic pancreas in the anterior mediastinum. Korean J Radiol. 2009, 10 (5): 527-530. 10.3348/kjr.2009.10.5.527.View ArticlePubMedPubMed CentralGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.