- Letters to the Editor
- Open Access
- Open Peer Review
Recurrent pannus formation causing prosthetic aortic valve dysfunction: Is excision without valve re-replacement applicable?
© Darwazah; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2012
- Received: 23 January 2012
- Accepted: 16 June 2012
- Published: 29 June 2012
Prosthetic valve dysfunction at aortic position is commonly caused by pannus formation. The exact etiology is not known. It arises from ventricular aspect of the prosthesis encroaching its leaflets causing stenosis or it may remain localized causing left ventricular outflow tract obstruction without affecting valve function.
The difference in location entails different approaches in management. Such a pathology requires surgical excision of the pannus with or without valve re-replacement.
A recurrent pannus was observed in a female patient who needed repeated surgical intervention to excise a localized pannus without re-replacement of a well functioning prosthetic valve.
Management of our case presents several questions, whether recurrence of pannus is caused by sparing the prosthetic valve, is it simply an exaggeration of an inflammatory healing process in certain individuals or is it ideal to re-replace the valve despite a well preserved function.
- Prosthetic valves dysfunction
- Prosthetic aortic valve
- Pannus formation
- Recurrent pannus
- Valve re-replacement
- Surgical excision
- Cianciulli TF, Saccheri MC, Lax JA, Guidoin R, Zhang Z, Guerra JE, Prezioso HA, Vidal LA: Intermittent acute aortic regurgitation of a mechanical bileaflet aortic valve prosthesis: diagnosis and clinical implications. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2009, 10 (3): 446-449. 10.1093/ejechocard/jen320.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sakamoto Y, Hashimoto K, Okuyama H, Ishil S, Shingo T, Kagawa H: Prevalence of pannus formation after aortic valve replacement: clinical aspects and surgical management. J Artif Organs. 2006, 9 (3): 199-202. 10.1007/s10047-006-0334-3.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Toker ME, Eren E, Balkanay M, Kirali K, Yanartas M, Caliskan A, Guler M, Yakut C: Multivariate analysis for operative mortality in obstructive prosthetic valve dysfunction due to pannus and thrombus formation. Int Heart J. 2006, 47: 237-245. 10.1536/ihj.47.237.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Teshima H, Fukunaga S, Takaseya T, Tomoeda H, Akashi H, Aoyagi S: Obstruction of St. Medical Valves in the Aortic Position: Plasma Transforming Growth Factor Type Beta 1 in patients With Pannus Overgrowth. J Artif Organs. 2010, 34 (3): 210-215. 10.1111/j.1525-1594.2009.00800.x.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Teshima H, Hayashida N, Yano H, Nishimi M, Tayama E, Fukunaga S, Akashi H, Kawara T, Aoyagi S: Obstruction of St. Jude Medical valves in the aortic position:histology and immunohistochemistry of pannus. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003, 126 (2): 401-407. 10.1016/S0022-5223(03)00702-5.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mullenix PS, Parsa CJ, Mackensen GB, Jollis JG, Harrison JK, Hughes GC: Pannus - related prosthetic valve dysfunction and life-threatening aortic regurgitation. J Heart Valve Dis. 2008, 17 (6): 666-669.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kuniyoshi Y, Kojak M, Shimoji M, Uezu T, Arakaki K, Yamashiro S, Mabuni K, Senaha S, Nakasone Y: Pannus formation in aortic valve prosthesis in the late postoperative period. J Artif Organs. 2003, 6 (3): 179-182. 10.1007/s10047-003-0226-8.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Horiguchi M, Seko T, Yazu T, Takeuchi M, Ichikawa T: Medtronic Hall valve malfunction due to pannus formation in the aortic position with peculiar movement of the leaflet: a case report. J Heart valve Dis. 2008, 17 (5): 583-585.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Aoyagi S, Nishimi Y, Tayama E, Fukunaga S, Hayashida N, Akashi H, Kawara T: Obstruction of St. Jude Medical valves in the aortic position: a consideration for pathogenic mechanism of prosthetic valve obstruction. Cardio-vasc Surg. 2002, 10: 339-344.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Aoyagi S, Fukunaga S, Arinaga K, Shojima T, Ueda T: Prosthetic valve obstruction: diagnostic usefulness of cineradiography and multidetector-row computed tomography. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007, 55 (8): 517-519. 10.1055/s-2006-924712.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chahal M, Pandya V, Adlakha S, Khouri SJ: Live 3 DTEE demonstrates and guides the management of prosthetic mitral valve obstruction. Echocardiography. 2011, 28 (7): E146-E148. 10.1111/j.1540-8175.2011.01412.x.View ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.